It is not an easy decision and you should take time to weigh your alternatives. Our certified credit counselors will work with you to create a personalized, individual financial assessment. Together, we will look at your income, expenses, assets, and liabilities. We’ll provide you with an accurate and honest summary of your financial situation that you can understand.
Bankruptcy counseling with a certified credit counselor must be completed before you file. Here is what you can expect.
- One of our certified counselors will take you through the budget process.
- We will review your debt picture, including what types of debt can be included in a bankruptcy.
- During the counseling session, we will discuss all your options, alternatives, and consequences of filing bankruptcy.
- We will help you develop a plan to rebuild credit in the future.
- We will provide you with a list of attorney referrals.
- Once you complete the bankruptcy counseling session, you’ll be issued a certificate of participation, which allows you to proceed with the bankruptcy process.
Prior to filing for bankruptcy, individuals are required to complete a pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session. During the counseling session a budget is prepared, options, alternatives, and consequences of filing bankruptcy will be discussed. We are approved by the Executive Office of the United States Trustees (EOUST) to provide the required pre-filing counseling and issue certificates in all judicial districts in Wisconsin and Minnesota. These high standards of certification assure you that you’re receiving solid, trustworthy education regarding bankruptcy.