Advocacy Programs of Family Service Association of Sheboygan, Inc. is a community-based nonprofit organization. We have been certified by the State of Wisconsin since 1990 as certified corporate guardians for adults in need of guardianship services. We also provide representative payee services for individuals who need assistance in handling their personal financial affairs.

Representative Payee
We are recognized by both Social Security and the Veterans Administration to help individuals who are required to have a representative payee to manage their monthly income and pay their bills. Annual accountings are required by both agencies. Payee services are also offered on a voluntary basis and can include managing other sources of income.

We currently serve clients throughout the State of Wisconsin as Guardian of Person and Guardian of Estate.

We can act as a conservator for individuals who no longer wish to handle their own financial affairs or their estate. This program requires a Circuit Court appointment and an annual accounting to the court.

Estate Services
We are available to serve as Special Administrator or Personal Representative of estates.

Veterans Fiduciary
We can also serve as fiduciary to protect Veterans or other beneficiaries who due to injury, disease or due to age are unable to manage their financial affairs.

Service fees
Charges for services are approved by the Circuit Court, the Social Security Administration, the Veterans Administration, local county human service department or other care providers/contracted services. In some cases, fees can be billed to other agencies.

"Another important point is that as a family member if you become a guardian of your loved one, it blurs the lines between relationship and acting as their legal advisor and decision-maker.  I have been my mother’s legal guardian of person and estate since I was 21 years old.  Often, I felt overwhelmed and felt I didn’t necessarily have the right tools to make the appropriate decisions.  Although I love my mother very much, at times I felt somewhat resentful that I had been put into a position of such responsibility, when I was struggling to just take care of myself.  Especially with an older relative, it’s hard to get used to the fact that what is normally a traditional care giver-care receiver relationship, is now reversed.  It’s important to keep in mind that when you are a guardian of a family member, you are not paid.  Nor do you receive the appropriate training, or have the resources a professional guardian has.  When advising family members who are considering guardianship, I always make it clear, that, if I could have gone back and had a professional guardian take over for my mother, I would have done that in a heartbeat, and would have realized that it was the smartest decision possible for all around. "

–Advocacy Client

Well, there are a couple of ways you can start the process. You can contact your local ADRC (Aging & Disability Research Center) and they can offer you some support that they have and also, they can help to start the process. The other way would be to contact an attorney. They will help to create the petition and help with the appointment of a psychiatrist or doctor to meet with the person to see if they are really incompetent. 

What our customers are saying:


"Since I’ve been with your agency and you’ve been paying my bills, I’ve had a better attitude. I’m positive that your services have made my life better. I can’t say enough nice things."



"Since being with Family Services I’ve learned how to budget. The people there are so friendly and good communication too."


"Very respectful and very responsive."



"I trust your agency with my money."


"Everyone is very courteous. I would give them a perfect 10."


"I have no complaints. I’m serious, there is nothing to complain about."


"I’ve been with Family Services for over 10 years. They are kind, polite and I’ve never felt so in control. I’m blessed to have them as my payee."